Composers in Spotlight interview: Axel Schwarz
Prof. Axel Schwarz works as a musician, composer, lyricist, producer + docent + is able to look back on a trail of releases, chart successes + over 1 million sold units with diverse projects + artists. Axel studied classical music, was a member of the Julie Neigel Band for many years, worked as a keyboarder, writes + produces pop music + music for film + TV. Axel has been producing for the POPVIRUS Library since 2008 + is a specialist for emotional + cinematic theme albums.
1. What does it feel like to be a freshly appointed professor?
Axel: Cool! For me, it’s an official first time recognition for the faculty at the Pop Academy in Mannheim which has developed academics for those who are completely into music, giving them a great professional start in their young lives.
2. What are you currently listening to?
Axel: I listen to a lot of music my students do. It’s really exciting. This is the next generation. And besides, it’s pretty much all over the place: pop, instrumentals, classic etc.
3. In a few words, how would you describe yourself?
Axel: Axel Schwarz
4. What ranking does music have for you?
Axel: Love, oxygen, music!
5. In your oppinion, how does the POPVIRUS Library differ from other libraries?
Axel: Mainly through A.B., a creator on all fronts, one who inspires and encourages you and makes sure that good music finds a perfect home.
6. What musical strengths do you have (+ which weaknesses)?
Axel: I was educated in classic music, became socialised in rock and love the freedom of pop music. I’m very interested in all kinds of music, music with great hooks and a statement. I can listen to music like an audience does. Weaknesses: potato chips ;-) The rest is my secret.
7. Can you tell us what changes you’ve seen take place in production music over the last years?
Axel: The quality level has increased immensely.
8. What is your favorite album from the POPVIRUS Library? (and why)
Axel: That’s impossible for me to answer. Too much good music.
9. Which POPVIRUS Library project are you currently working on?
Axel: A new piano album.
10. What other plans do you have for the year?
Axel: Inspired through working with POPVIRUS, I’m working on music which can go beyond production music. And I’m planning a further educational pop release.
11. Is working as a composer a career worth striving for?
Axel: Yes! We can’t really do anything else but to follow the calling, anyway!
12. Which studio tool is indispensable for you?
13. What do you do when your not making music?
Axel: I love the outdoors, enjoy good meals and just doing nothing (that doesn’t last for long though, unfortunately.)
14. Is there a tweet you would like to twitter?
Axel: Awesome! It worked! ;-)
Alben in der POPVIRUS Library